How many English words do you know?

How many English words do you know?

ViestiKirjoittaja biologinalku » 03 Loka 2015, 11:51

http://testyourvocab.com. (takes maybe 2 minutes)

http://my.vocabularysize.com (takes more time, but can be better test)

Share your results in this thread.
"Valta tuo mukanaan hirvittävän vastuun halusimmepa sitä tai emme. Meidän käsissämme on nyt oma kohtalomme ja kaikkien niiden elävien olentojen tulevaisuus, jotka kanssamme jakavat maan."
-Sir David Attenborough
biologinalku
Valvoja
Valvoja

Re: How many English words do you know?

ViestiKirjoittaja Muoviomena » 03 Loka 2015, 15:09

The test said that my English word pool is limited to 5900 words. I'm not sure what the real answer is.

I used the shorter test. I don't have time for the other one right now.
Muoviomena
Ei syötävä

ViestiKirjoittaja Santiny » 03 Loka 2015, 17:55

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

Used the shorter test because I'm lazy. I expected to do better but for me the result could probably be very different if I bothered to stop and think for a minute. I know I knew many of the words I didn't tick but, since I couldn't remember a definition right there and then, I decided to not tick them. Apparently I'm still way better than most foreign learners so yay for that! Still a long way to go before being anywhere close to the natives though.
Kuva
I have decided to do motorsports because I don't have to get up there so early in the morning. -Kimi Räikkönen
Santiny
Almighty Admin
Almighty Admin

ViestiKirjoittaja Fnfn » 03 Loka 2015, 18:18

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
15,800 words

Some of them were very familiar, maybe I'd known them if they were in the context.
My english is rusty.
Sob sob.
Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to
Smash every tooth in your head

The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again
Fnfn
Positiivinen vetyioni

ViestiKirjoittaja biologinalku » 03 Loka 2015, 18:19

I am very bad at Eglish. I have studied it for 9 years at school, but I know only about 4000 words.
"Valta tuo mukanaan hirvittävän vastuun halusimmepa sitä tai emme. Meidän käsissämme on nyt oma kohtalomme ja kaikkien niiden elävien olentojen tulevaisuus, jotka kanssamme jakavat maan."
-Sir David Attenborough
biologinalku
Valvoja
Valvoja

ViestiKirjoittaja Fnfn » 03 Loka 2015, 18:32

biologinalku kirjoitti:I am very bad at Eglish. I have studied it for 9 years at school, but I know only about 4000 words.

I don't think I know 15 000 words either... I mean, I got M in the matriculation examination. I'm not very good at knowing a specific word but I still can understand if the word I don't remeber/know is in the sentance. And then if I don't know a word, I might come up with a sentance. And it will be wrong or it will be right but how are you supposed to learn if you aren't allowed to do mistakes and try things?

And then there are words like ruthless: I don't know (well, remember) the finnish translation but I know the "feeling" and "appearance" of the word. So technically I know what they mean if they say that a villain is ruthless.
Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to
Smash every tooth in your head

The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again
Fnfn
Positiivinen vetyioni

ViestiKirjoittaja Santiny » 03 Loka 2015, 18:44

Fnfn kirjoitti:
biologinalku kirjoitti:I am very bad at Eglish. I have studied it for 9 years at school, but I know only about 4000 words.

I don't think I know 15 000 words either... I mean, I got M in the matriculation examination. I'm not very good at knowing a specific word but I still can understand if the word I don't remeber/know is in the sentance. And then if I don't know a word, I might come up with a sentance. And it will be wrong or it will be right but how are you supposed to learn if you aren't allowed to do mistakes and try things?

And then there are words like ruthless: I don't know (well, remember) the finnish translation but I know the "feeling" and "appearance" of the word. So technically I know what they mean if they say that a villain is ruthless.

Yeah there are plenty of words I understand perfectly well but can't translate them to Finnish because in my head English lives it's own happy life and Finnish it's own and they meet only occasionally. I'm capable of thinking (and blogging :D) in English. Got E in A-levels without even trying too hard. My sister is on the same level with natives which means my E is the worst anyone in my family has ever gotten. My dad obviously didn't go to high school. He's probably the worst English speaker in my family despite doing all the talking during holidays abroad. Maybe I should talk more. Then again I prefer to learn at least a bit of the country's own language and use it whenever English just won't cut it. I'm proud of the amount of Italian I managed to learn and use in just a couple of days. Sorry, I'm rambling again.
Kuva
I have decided to do motorsports because I don't have to get up there so early in the morning. -Kimi Räikkönen
Santiny
Almighty Admin
Almighty Admin

ViestiKirjoittaja Vieras » 03 Loka 2015, 20:06

"Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:10,300words"

I tried to take the other test too but our internet connection failed... It's been crappy since the electricity blackout :?
Vieras

ViestiKirjoittaja morso97 » 03 Loka 2015, 20:07

That was me
Moppe, Morsoliini, Mursu, Mursuli, Morsomur(s)u, Mopo, Morsuli, Mosuli
morso97

ViestiKirjoittaja <Empty> » 03 Loka 2015, 21:44

Im way too lazy to doo this right now
"Damn."

-Amsterdam
<Empty>
Diktaattori päänsä sisällä

ViestiKirjoittaja Ihaa » 04 Loka 2015, 20:51

Vocabularysize says 4,400 words. I really don't think that it be correct, cause maybe 10-15 words may be right by (arvata? Mikä lieneekään englanniksi). True is, that my english sucks, and every time its really hard understand even the easiest things in english.
Pakka on sekasin
Ihaa
Appelsiinikeisari

ViestiKirjoittaja <Empty> » 04 Loka 2015, 22:48

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 10,600 words

I can live up to that standard
"Damn."

-Amsterdam
<Empty>
Diktaattori päänsä sisällä

Paluu Pulinat